Tuesday 4 February 2014


26th-27th Jan.

One significant climb of over 1000ft, not too bad.  Freewheeled down to Crescent City, the last big coastal town of Californian before Oregon.  Daylight fading and no sign of an RV park that had tent sites.  Dark now, kept going, until I found a quiet bit of grass behind some houses and trees, and a big pile of grass cuttings and branches to camp behind.  Early start, on account of 'stealth camping'(!), a concerned homeowner appeared as I was wheeling my bike past, his dog making a racket.  I explained I'd been caught out by the dark, was cycling LA to Portland, and had just found a patch of grass to put my tent up on.  He seemed bemused, (my accent always helps with that), said that was fine.  Ten minutes down the road, 'Gordi Bros' restaurant, neon OPEN, was poured coffee, on the house, from the staff coffee pot, by super friendly Jorge and his Mum Rosa.  What a great start to the day!  A flat, easy, foggy 20 miles, over the border into Oregon. 

Trying to make arrangements to visit more cob house building folk further north.  In my search for a working phone, ended up chatting to some gas station attendants, who generously lent me theirs - success!

No comments:

Post a Comment