Monday 13 January 2014


11th Jan.

Alerted to another loose rear spoke by a regular twanging sound, gently tightened it, noise went away.  Headed into Santa Cruz. 
Met Gregg at a junction as I'm looking at my map.  I asked which way to the coastal road, and he said he'd cycle there with me.  Turns out he has cycled across the world - across US, through western Europe to Africa, across Africa, India, Sri Lanka, China and Australia, oh and Chile and Argentina.  He's in the book 'Miles to Nowhere' - will have to look that up!  Stopped to watch a surfing competition from a pedestrian vantage point, dozens of surfers paddling around in the water, music, commentary, surfers actually riding waves and doing flips, incredible.  Gregg cycled with me along the coast, telling me about what it was like cycling in various different countries, describing the humbling hospitality of nomadic people in African, and dropped me off at the coastal trail heading towards Highway 1.  Cheers!

It seems west coast Americans like to be weird.  I'm heading to Portland , where the slogan is 'Keep Portland Weird'.  Gregg told me that here, the saying goes, 'If you live in Santa Cruz, you don't know what weird is anymore'.  He said when he was growing up around here, everyone was trying to out-weird each other.  So he dressed in a suit and tie for work.  That really weirded people out.  He felt he was the most weird, but some aspiring weirdos didn't get it.  Weird.  I'm English, I'm just trying to look cool.

Passed several organic farm stalls along the road today.  First rain of the trip!  The surroundings have gradually been changing, from the Mexican towns of the south, to places now where it all seems more familiar, and there is an abundance of coffee!  The temperature has become cooler too. 

Around 50 miles again today, didn't make it to the next state campgrounds, 11 miles still to go,  but running out of daylight and energy.  Pitched the tent behind a tree, at another state beach site.  Heading to San Francisco tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment