Monday 13 January 2014


9th Jan.

Early start, first of the headwinds everyone seems so concerned about when I say I'm heading north - has nothing on Scotland so far!  Saw the most beautiful birds at the campground, blackbird-size, black head with a large triangular crest, and iridescent blue body.  Several of them.  Passes a small snake on the road, almost ran him over!
Called in at Pacific Grove public library for the internet, so happy to read messages from friends again.  Heading out of sprawling Monterey city, getting late in the day.  Passed a guy with a beard, and a cardboard sign asking for work, standing at a big junction.  He knew I'd need to find the cycle route, and pointed me in the right direction.  I set off, but mistook the turning, and headed south rather than north.  He comes tearing after me across the junction on his bike, 'No, it's the other way!'.  Timothy, nice guy, had cycled across the US to New York, and said he doesn't like seeing people go the wrong way.  Much appreciated!

Getting late now, and no sign of the campground.  Spotted a couple ahead, cycling with panniers.  Decided they'd know where they were going, so set off to catch them.  After about a mile of racing after them, and just not quite making it, finally caught up with them at a junction.   They weren't touring, but just returning home from work, as it turned out, a bike map business of their own.  They pointed me in the right direction, and gave me their card in case it didn't work out, and I needed rescuing!  Cheers!

Made it, high-class campgrounds.  Made a welcome change from coin-operated showers of varying temperature and illumination.  First glimpse of a raccoon in my torch light, bold as brass in the tree above my tent, scouting out food.  Spent the rest of the evening cleaning my bike chain, and removing the rear mudguard.  Developed a terrible squeak over the afternoon, I think related to the rear wheel not being quite true anymore.  Gently tightened another loose spoke.  Decided that rather than take up the fine art of wheel truing experimentally (which would not have been wise!), I'd just remove the mudguard, so it could spin untrue, unhindered.  Already hacksawn off the front of the front mudguard to stop it rubbing.  Tricky things these mudguards.  The wheels were the only component I bought pre-built, maybe that was a mistake...  Missing my bike mechanic!

No comments:

Post a Comment