Monday 6 January 2014


2nd Jan.


Was poured a cup of coffee by friendly cyclists David and Val at the campgrounds.  Set off into the sunshine- feeling good.  Found some organic salad to roll up with peanut butter.  Passed water pumping columns for high-rise restaurant salad growing.  Got lost through University campus at Santa Barbara.  The helpful Pacific Route cycling signs and ample cycle lanes seemed to have disappeared. 

Called in at a bike shop- where Mr Friendly Bike Guy loosened the rear wheel spoke I'd over-tightened...wheel spinning better- cheers!

Got lost again and again- through a ranch estate- university beach park and mobile home complex- hauled bike cross-country to get between dusty paths and roads.  Thanks to the countless friendly folk who gave me directions.  

Finally just cut across onto the freeway and headed down the hardshoulder as fast as I could getting anxious that the sun was setting and I hadn't found the next campground.  So relieved to make it- dark now- lights on.  By the time I'd found a camp spot through the maze of state park loop roads in the darkness- I just needed to sit in my tent and cry.  Ben had said that I was leaving a mouse- and would return a tiger.  I was beginning to see what he meant.  The cycling is relatively straightforward- but being out of place- far from home- constantly on the move and finding my way- is pretty tough. 

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie these posts are great!! Loving your writing style :) xx

    ReplyDelete