Monday 6 January 2014

1st Jan. 2014


Woke up to sunrise- the first of 2014!

Roadside vegetation quite different to Scotland- succulents- eucalyptus and palm trees.  Serious miscalculation of distances and shop frequency... Set off pedalling 7:30am in the sunshine- with no breakfast- and only 3 hours later found a somewhere to buy food.  A Spanish-speaking avocado-selling shack with mangoes- pears- oranges- peanuts and Snickers bars.  By this time I was running out of water too.  I think my blood was mainly in my legs- then I started eating- so some was redirected to my stomach- and there wasn't enough left for my head.  Spent about an hour lying by the side of the road- faint- nauseus and homesick.  Not my finest moment.  Anyway- picked myself up- recovered- and with full water bottles set off again. 

Passed dozens of cyclists- exchanged a wave- or a Happy New Year's.  Found out from a guy 'stealth camping' his way down to New Orleans on his bike- that 'wild camping' is known as 'stealth camping' - good to know.  So many kindly fellow cyclists checked if I needed help when I was taking a break- or gave me directions - cheers!

Passed a sign 'San Francisco 325 miles'.  Smelt something I could have sworn was wild goat- maybe skunk?  Since passed a few roadkill skunk. 

Arrived Carpinteria State Beach campgrounds before dusk - feeling good to be camping legitimately!

No comments:

Post a Comment